Museums & Monuments in Corfu


San Giacomo Theatre – Town Hall of Municipality of Corfu

The Theatre of San Giacomo was one of the first theatres in Europe, in which operas were performed. The building was constructed in 1663 and finished in 1693. It has the high architecture of the Venetian influence and for two centuries housed the musician and theatrical performances of Corfu. The building was the Lodge of the Nobles and later the club for the Venetian officers. In 1717, it was transformed into a theatre with a capacity of 350 people and renamed San Giacomo due to the Roman Catholic Cathedral of San Giacomo, which was nearby. In 1890, the municipality decided to build a new theatre similar to the Theatre of Milan. It was the biggest and contemporary of the Balkans. The inauguration started with the “Lohengrin” of Wagner in 1902. The building was terribly destroyed by the bombing of the Germans in September 1943. Today the building houses the Town Hall of the Municipality of Corfu.

Corfu Address: Michael Theotoki square, Corfu Town.


Museum of Ceramic Art

The Museum houses surviving samples of popular Corfiot ceramic art, which flourished on earlier times. The exhibits are traditional works of art with variety of shapes and simple painting decoration of a flourishing period of the Corfiot art.
Address: English Baracks "New Fortress" Tel: +30 26610 27370


Archaeological Museum – Corfu Town

An impressive building (1962 – 1967) housing rare works of art of the golden era of Corfu’s naval force during 6th and 5th century with findings from excavations of the Roman and Archaic Period, such as the Gorgon Medusa Pediment from the Doric temple of Artemis (585 BC), surrounded by the flying horse Pegasus, the Chrysaora and two leopards. The funerary monument of the 7th century, the Lions of Menecratus, is exceptional as well as the pediment of 500 BC representing Dionysus. There is an impressive exhibition of findings from the 4th century B.C., bronze statures from the Archaic to the Roman era, terracotta statues of Artemis, a rich collection of ancient coins, clay antefixes as well as exhibits from Paleopolis and Kassiopi.

The collections include:

Corfu Address: Armeni Vraila 1 Open 8.30-15.00. Closed Mondays. Sundays open 9.30-14.30. Telephone: +30 26610-30680


Palace of St. Michael & St. GeorgeCorfu Town

A unique museum in Greece, which was established in 1927 the diplomat Gregorios Manos, who donated his personal collection and it was enriched with other collections of P. Almanachos, I. Siniosoglou, , H.Chiotakis, I. Kollas and the ambassador N. Hatzivassiliou.

Corfu_palaceThe exhibits are originally from China, Japan, India, Pakistan, Korea, Siam, Tibet, Nepal, Cambodia and Thailand. The Greek influences at the Greek-Buddhist collection of sculptures from Gadara in Pakistan during the 1st-5th centuries A.D., prove that Alexander the Great passed from this region.

Originally, British built it in 1823 in neo-classical style to serve the residence for the British High Commissioners. The architect and colonel of the corps of Royal Engineers Sir George Whitmore edited the work. The building housed the Ionian Senate, the Ionian Parliament and the treasury of the Chivalric Order of Saint Michael and Saint George (1818). When Corfu united with Greece (1864), the British offered the palace to Greek State. Since then until 1967, the Palace was the summer residence of the Greek royal family. In 1994 the Summit of the European Union in Corfu took place in the palace.

The visitors are also allowed to enter to the Hall of the Ionian Senate with the old furniture and portraits of the presidents of the Senate, located on the ground floor. On the second floor, the room with the Rotunda, Throne Room and Dining Room, all with superb ceilings, as well as the wall painting of the medals of the Chivalric order in the dining room, are really impressive.

The collections are donated by:

 Corfu Address: Saint Michael & Saint George Palace Open daily 08.30-15.00. Closed Mondays. Tel: +30 26610-30443


Municipal Gallery of Corfu – Corfu Town

Since 1995 the building of the Old Palace, which is located in the Palace of St. Michael & St. George, houses the Municipal Gallery of Corfu. The exhibition consists of art works of Corfiot painters of the 15th Byzantine period, the 19th and 20th century. Some of the impressive pieces are as follows:

The stoning of St. Stephen (1591) – Michael Damaskinos

The sharp of Prodromos (1590) – Michael Damaskinos

Warrior of ’21 (1862) – Spyros Prosalentis

Arabian musician (1882) – Pavlos Prosalentis

The murder of Kapodistrias – Haralambos Pachis

Corfu Address: Str. Academias 1 Open daily 09.0-17.00. Closed Mondays. Tel: +30 26610-39553


Museum of Dionysios Solomos - Corfu Town

Dionysios Solomos (1798 – 1857) is the National poet of Greece, who lived twenty years until his death in Corfu Island. During his stay in the island, he wrote the most important part of his work, as well as the famous “Free Besieged”. The house was destroyed by the bombings of Italians during World War II, but it was restored in 1962 –1965 by the Society for Corfiot Studies, who operates the Solomos museum and a Centre for Studies on Solomos. The museum houses the poet's desk and a small autograph, original manuscripts, poems, letters, portraits, an important collection of Solomo's books, which is constantly being enriched including all the old editions of the "Hymn to Freedom".
Corfu Address: Str. Arseniou 1, Opened: daily, June to August - 09:30 to 14:00; September to May - 09:30 to 13:00 Tel: +30 26610 30674


Reading Society – Corfu Town

The impressive building is characteristic in architecture and it is work of the famous Corfiot architect Ioannis Chronis. It houses the Reading Society, which is the oldest intellectual institution of Greece, established in 1836 according the model of the Reading Society of Geneva, by the professor of Philosophy of the Ionian Academy, Petros Vrailas Armenis, in where many Eptanisians were members, such as I Kapodistrias, A. Kalvos and many others. The founders of the Society were graduates mainly of French universities and were expelled from Italy as Carbonari.

On 1936 the Reading Society enumerates a lot of notable personalities as members such as, the Greek National Poet Dionysios Solomos, Iakovos Polylas, Angelos Kogievinas, Augustinos Kapodistrias, Georgios Theotokis, Dinos Theotokis, Gerasimos Marcoras, the composer of the National Anthem Nikolaos Mantzaros, Spyros Samaras, Lorenzos Mavilis, the Bishop of Corfu and the later Ecumenical Patriarch Athinagoras, Angelos Gialinas and many more.

The building is one of the most characteristic in Corfu Town and houses a library of approximately 50,000 volumes, the Ionian Library of approximately 7,000 volumes, a reading room and collections of paintings, old maps and engravings, old printed material, documents, letters, photographs, newspapers and old magazines.

The Society organizes and hosts many exhibitions, lectures, seminars and scientific conferences and is connected with Greek and Foreign Scientific Institutions and Universities.
Since 1978 the Reading Society has been awarded by the Greek Academy in Athens and it is a member of "Europa Nosta", the European Federation of Associations and Institutions of more than 200 non-governmental heritage organisations working for the protection of the architectural heritage of the European countries.

Address : 120 Kapodistriou Str. Opposite Saint Michael and Saint George Palace at Mouragia. Tel.+30  26610 44165


Numismatic Museum of Corfu – Corfu Town

The Numismatic museum is unique in Greece and founded by the Ionian and Laiki (Popular) Bank of Greece in 1981. The museum displays a rich collection of coins and banknotes of Greece and various countries, stamps, bank documents and the reproduction of the modern process of manufacturing banknotes.

Corfu Address: Cypriot Heroes Square Opened 8.30-3.00 Tel: +30 26610 41552


Kapodistrias Museum – Evroupouli village near Corfu Town

The charming property was built in 1840 under the plans of the Corfiot architect Ioannis Chronis. It is located in Koukouritsa of Evropouli village, near to Corfu Town and it is considered as an exceptional architectural work. Ioannis Kapodistrias was born in 1776 and he was the Foreign Affairs Minister of Russia and the first governor of Greece.

Kapodistrias family donated the building, which has been restored, and houses furniture and Kapodistrias’ personal belongings. The Kapodistrias Museum and Centre for Kapodistria Studies was established in 1981, and it is dedicated to the life and work of I. Kapodistrias.

Corfu Address: Evropouli village, Tel: 26610 39528


The Serbian Museum of Corfu – Corfu Town

The Serbian Museum houses the exhibits and collections of the Serbian army (about 150,000 soldiers), who found refuge for three years (1916 – 1918) in Corfu during World War I, after the collapse of the Serbian Front, as a result of the Austro-Hungarian attack of the 6th October 1915.

The exhibits include military equipment, uniforms, Serbian regimental flags, medals of Honor, photographs, religious relics, surgical tools of the Serbian doctors in Vido island and various items of the Serbian army.

Corfu Address: Moustoxidou 19 Tel. +30 26610 33960


Achillion Palace – Kanoni Corfu

On of the most popular sites of Corfu Island, the Achillion Palace was built between 1889 -1891 in the village of Gastouri, laid on a hill overlooking the Ionian Sea, in the place where the Greek philosopher Petros Vrailas Armenis lived, and it was used as the summer residence of Empress of Austria Elizabeth or Sissy. The Italian architects Antonio Landi and Rafael Carito supervised this neo-classical building, which is based in Doric, Roman and Aiolic architecture, and decorated with artwork on Greek mythology and history. The name Achillion was given by the Empress, who dedicated the Palace to the main hero of the Iliad and the Trojan War and king of Mirmidones army, Achilles, who was representing the power, the divine beauty and the sensitivity of soul.

achillionAs the visitor enter the palace, there is a portrait of Empress Sissy on the right and a marble fireplace on the left. A large painting of the Italian painter Galopi, depicting the four seasons, decorates the roof (fresco). At the end of the stairs, the oil painting of the Austrian Franz Matsch, a masterpiece of art, is the "Triumph of Achilles", depicting Achilles pulling the dead body of Hector behind his chariot out of the walls of Troy. On the same floor outside there is an Ionic peristyle decorated with the busts of philosophers and statues and the marvelous peristyle of 9 Musses accompanied by the statues of Hermes and Apollo.

The catholic chapel of Empress Sissy is equally impressive with sculptures and the painting of Holy Virgin holding Jesus and a painting on the arch-shaped ceiling that represents the Judgment of Christ.

Elisabeth’s room has many personal items and it is decorated with a large painting depicting Ulysses and Naussica on the Phaecian Island. In Kaiser’s room there are also a lot of his personal items, his portrait and seascapes, his desk, documents, medals and photographs.

The impressive gardens are full of the statues Olympian gods and Achilles. The most distinctive statues are Thneskon Achilles (Dying Achilles) of the German sculptor Ernst Gustav Herter, showing Achilles wounded trying to pull the arrow out his heel and the 11,5 m height statue of Triumphant Achilles.

After Sissy’s assassination, the palace was sold to the German Kaiser Wilhelm II. During World War I, was pillaged. In 1919 with the' Treaty of Versailles”, Achillion was acquired by the Greek State. During World War II, the palace was used as a military headquarter and a hospital and it was abandoned with lot of damages. It was restored and reconstructed and it has been converted into a museum.

Corfu Address: Achillion Palace Gastouri village Opened: daily, April to October - 08:00 to 19:00; November to March - 08:30 to 15:00 Tel: + 30 26610 56245.


Mon Repos and Paleopolis – Kanoni Corfu

The park of Mon Repos (258 acres) is located in Kanoni adjacent to the archaeological site of Paleopolis. The little palace was built between 1828-1831 in plans of the Corfiot architect I. Chronis in neo-classical style and it was used as the summer residence of the British Commissioner Frederic Adams and his Corfiot wife, Nina Palatianou and the residence of many British Governors. The Empress Elisabeth of Austria lived in the palace for a while and in 1864 after the Reunion of Corfu to the Greek state, it was given to King George I of Greece. This is the place where Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, the husband of Queen Elisabeth, was born on the 10th of June 1921. During the Italian possession the palace was used as the summer residence of the Italian Commander of the Ionian Islands, Parini. From 1955 until 1967, it was used as the summer residence of the Greek Royal family.

After the abolition of the reign in Greece in 1975, the palace became a property of Municipality of Corfu and houses the museum of Paleopolis. The exhibition of the museum includes many archaeological relics, Byzantine remains, documents, portraits and furniture from the British rule.

Mon Repos is located within the area of Paleopolis, where the ancient town of Corfu used to be. At the right of the palace are the ruins of the temple of Hera. The temple dates from the late 7th century, but unfortunately, has suffered major damage and no part of it remains in its place.

The Temple of Kardaki, which is located further away, is the best-preserved ancient temple of Corfu. This is a small Doric temple of the late 6th century BC century with 11 columns on the wider sides and 6 columns on its narrow sides, and was dedicated to Poseidon according the tradition and later according the archaeologists to Asklepios.


The first findings uncovered during the years of British domination. Later the excavations were made during 1936 - 1955 resulted to the discovered part of the market and the early Christian basilica. It was one of the most impressive basilicas, which was built by the Bishop Iovianos in 5th century. He destroyed the pagan temple and he built the church on its place. The basilica was well known as Saint Kerkyra, who was a Christian and martyr and to whom, according the tradition, the church was dedicated. Since 1987 the area is systematically excavated and more findings were discovered, such as the Roman baths, the shipyards in the port of Alkinoos and an important part of the stone paved floor of the ancient market.

Corfu Address: Paleopolis – Mon Repos, Kanoni, Opened: May to October, Tuesday to Sunday - 08:30 to 15:00 Tel: +30 26610 41369


The Folkloric Museum of Messis – Sinarades Corfu

A charming two-storey house in the village of Sinarades, houses since 1982 the Folkloric museum, which was founded from the Historic and Folkloric Society of Corfu with the encouragement of the teacher and researcher Nikos Pachtitis. The museum houses a rich collection of folkloric items of the local village life in an old époque of 18th and 19th century of the central Corfu.

On the first floor there is a presentation of an old village house of an average financial status. This village house consists of a kitchen, the dining room, a corridor and a bedroom with iron beds, wooden furniture, and old chests. The second floor houses a small room with a library, old files, and small collections. On the same floor, there is a large room with traditional Corfiot costumes, music instruments and a rich exhibition of folkloric embroidery, looms, lamps, ceramics, religious items, children’s corner, farming tools, handicraft tools  (shoe-making workshop), measures, weight and balances, hand-mill and grindstones, fishing collection and an old boat named “Papyrella”, which is a primitive fishing boat made of special wood.

Corfu Address: The Folkloric Museum of Central Corfu, Sinarades village, Opened daily (from May to October), except for Mondays, 9.30 - 14.00 Tel: 26610-54962.


The Folkloric Museum of Acharavi – Acharavi Corfu

The Folklore Museum is located opposite the site of the Roman Baths in Acharavi and was founded by Spiros Vlachos in 2008.

The exhibition with important folkloric and historical interest is presented in a 750 sq.m. room and its decoration references in traditional Corfiot homes of an old era. The exhibits are proudly reflecting the manners and customs of the culture and the structure of the society of 18th and 19th century of the Corfiot village life.

The collections consist of notes and coins from the period of the Ionian State, local women costumes since 1800, stone objects, lamps, sundial, traditional olive press, stone and wooden containers, old wagon, plow and agricultural tools, manufacturing place of wine and raki, water mill, carpenter’s workshop and various tools, kitchen, utensils, loom, sewing machine, folkloric embroidery, religious place, children’ toys, rich photo gallery and collection of old books and documents since 1862 and many others.
Corfu Address: Acharavi, Opened: Monday –Saturday, 10:00 – 19:00, Tel: +30 26630 63052


Roman Baths – Acharavi Corfu

The Ruins of Roman Baths present a great historical and archeological interest. Although there are ruins of Roman Baths in other places of Corfu (Benitses, Paleopolis), the Roman Baths in Acharavi are the last ruins which discovered close to Roda, next to the main road. The water had been heated with hypocausts, which were preserving the hot air that circling in ceramic built tubes.